Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Guy Friendly Valentine's

Happy Wednesday!

It's Shay here. Are you like me and totally amazed by what the design team are making?  Make sure to let them know by commenting because they love to read your comments.  Don't forget that this Friday is February's Blog Hop where leaving a little love could mean you win something lovely for yourself!

Speaking of love, today I have a bit of inspiration for putting a little masculine twist on those Valentine's cards for the special guy in your life.

With the Bird Lyrics stamp set (or Be Your Bird stamp and Home stamp) I made two cards:


Using similar colors and products making two cards is nearly as easy as making one.

Card No. 1


I began with the Be Your Bird image.  Using Versamark I embossed the bird using black embossing powder.  I colored in the image using Tim Holtz Distress Markers (tumbled glass, stormy sky, weathered wood, picket fence, scattered straw and fired brick).  These markers blend well together and I love the look they have when you color in an image.


I cut out the image and adhered it using dimensional adhesive to an embossed white panel that is decorated with a little diagonal striped washi.  I think washi is an excellent alternative for ribbon for masculine cards.

I also added a stamped heart from the Handmade stamp set which I cut out and outlined with a black pen to the bird.


Lastly, I adhered it all to a card base with a subtle Valentine theme and distressed the edges using my ink blending tool and black ink.

Card No. 2


For my next card I also used Distress Markers (tumbled glass, stormy sky and weathered wood), but this time I colored in the image directly on the stamp using the markers.  I lightly sprayed the image with water before I stamped it onto a piece of white cardstock.


Next I added a diagonal striped grey washi below and above the image.  To add to the Valentine's theme I added a small heart that I punched out of a coffee stained manila tag.  I then adhered the white panel to a kraft card base.


And there you have it--two simple, clean and guy-friendly Valentine's cards.

I hope you ink up some Paper Wings Productions stamps and create some Valentine's cards for the guys and gals in your life!  We would love to see what you make with Paper Wings Productions stamps.  Add your projects to Facebook, our flickr group, to Pinterest, comment with a link on this post or even email pictures to us!

And don't forget to mark your calendars for Friday's Blog Hop (and don't forget there is also a giveaway).  I am really excited to see what the talented gals have in store for us all!

Take flight, Shay.

Stamps used:




Other supplies:

Cardstock: white, Georgia Pacific; desert storm, Neenah Papers
Ink: versamark, Tsukineko; cough syrup, Jenni Bowlin for Ranger
Patterned Paper: Fourteen 6x6 paper pad, Crate Paper
Other: detail black embossing powder, JudiKins; washi tape, Freckled Fawn (I think); Tim Holtz Distress Markers, Ranger Ink; heart punch, Stampin' Up!; black pen, American Crafts; dimensional adhesive, American Crafts; embossing folder, Cuttlebug

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards Shay, I love the blue on the birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards! I love the watercolor effect from the Distress Markers! Thanks for the inspiration. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are absolutely gorgeous!! I love the stamps you used!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are fabulous, love the bird and sentiment on the first card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toooo cute Ms. Shay!!!!! I love that you added the little hearts! Hope you are doing well !!!! XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toooo cute Ms. Shay!!!!! I love that you added the little hearts! Hope you are doing well !!!! XoXo

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...