Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What's Up Wednesday: Happy Birthday!!


Hello there peeps,

What's Up?  It seems to be birthday month here at paper wings productions.  This past weekend dear Ms. Liz Allen (fine and fancy) celebrated her birthday and today is Julie's birthday!   Happy belated birthday, Lizzie!  Happy birthday, Julie!

Lately, I have been downright awful about getting out cards to my friends, but I am of the mind that later is better than never (how surprising is it to get a card 6 months after your birthday?  Makes for a long birthday celebration).

Today I am sharing with you the cards I made for Liz and Julie which I haven't given to them yet (Liz and Julie, if you don't want to see your cards here then look away).

Liz's birthday card:


For a starting off point, I wanted to use Liz's Hanging Stars stamp set.  On a 4.5 inch x 5.5 inch piece of white cardstock, I stamped the main curving line image and then alternated between stamping the large folk star and the small folk star onto the bottom of each line with Memento ink by Tsukineko in tuxedo black.

Because the card needed something or someone under the stars, I stamped little Sophie from the Sophie stamp set and added the curvy string and balloon from that set to add some birthday fun again in Memento ink.  I knew I was going to do some paper piecing over some parts of Sophie so I stamped her twice on 2 different pattern papers from Basic Grey's Kissing Booth 6x6 paper pad and Crate Paper's Paper Heart 6x6 paper pad and stamped the balloon once on another paper from the same paper pad.



Before adhering the paper pieces I took out a sponge dauber from Tsukineko and 3 colors of Tim Holtz Distress Ink: tumbled glass, stormy sky and faded jeans.  I began with tumbled glass going over the panel in a circular motion trying to avoid the stars and most of Sophie. Next I came in with stormy sky concentrating the color to the top of the panel and adding some sporadically onto the rest of the panel.  Then I finished up with faded jeans just at the top and around the edges of the panel.  


Then I sprayed iridescent spray over the entire panel.  And I colored in Sophie's skin, hair and mouth with Copic markers.  I also colored in the stars using a white Uni-ball Signo gel pen. 




I then adhered the paper pieced elements to the ballon and Sophie and finished up Sophie by coloring in her socks/tights and shoes with Copic markers again.  To the bottom of the card I added some free hand cut wavy pieces of patterned paper from the Basic Grey Kissing Booth paper pad.


I wanted to add yellow stickles to the stars (stickles are a most for anything for Ms. Liz), but oh no! I have no yellow stickles.  What to do?  I colored in the white stars with a yellow Copic marker and then used Diamond stickles over it.  Problem solved.

I added a little banner stamped from a sweet sentiment handwritten by Liz on a piece of white cardstock and then because the white was too stark I inked up the banner with another sponge dauber using Jenni Bowlin ink in malted milk and inking the edges in brown sugar.  Lastly, I adhered the panel to a kraft colored card base.  Pretty cute!

Wish big this birthday, Ms. Liz!


Stamps: Hanging Stars and Sophie
Ink: Memento ink by Tsukineko in tuxedo black; Tim Holtz Distress Ink by Ranger in tumbled glass, stormy sky and faded jeans; Jenni Bowlin by Ranger in malted milk and brown sugar
Paper: Kissing Booth 6x6 paper pad by Basic Grey; Paper Heart 6x6 paper pad by Crate Paper
Cardstock: Neenah Papers in solar white and sand
Tools: Signo gel pen in white by Uni-ball; Precision Pen by American Crafts in blackSponge dauber by Tsukineko; MONO permanent adhesive by Tombowliquid adhesive by Scotch; Copic markers
Embellishments: Stickles by Ranger in diamond; Memories Mist in iridescent


Julie's birthday card



My starting off point for Julie's card was her Window set (have you seen Julie using this stamp set in her video?  If not, check it out HERE) and I had an idea to pair it with the Happy Day set.



First on a 4.25 inch x 5.5 inch piece of white cardstock I stamped the main window image in upper middle part of the panel in Memento ink in tuxedo black.  I stamped the ledge image at the bottom the window and then colored it in with Copic markers.



Next using some patterned paper from Crate Paper's Paper Heart 6x6 paper pad I stamped the larger pennant from Happy Day 5 times using Memento ink in tuxedo black and cutting them each out.  On each pennant I stamped a letter from the "happy" image and colored them in with a pink Copic marker.  I did ink up the edges.
 
Using the My Mind's Eye Lost and Found Madison Avenue 6x6 paper pad that I received as a present for my birthday this year (thanks, Jane!),  I stamped out the shutters from Window twice and stamped the bird from the set (what a cutie!).  I cut them all out.  To cover up some of my wonky cutting on the bird I used a Precision Pen from American Crafts to edge my birdie friend and I colored him in a bit more with a pink Copic marker.  He was adhered to the ledge.  Isn't he so sweet there?


I adhered the shutters outside the window frame (I colored in part of the image with a Copic marker).  I also did some subtle stamping on the right and left edges of the panel to mimic the texture of stucco using one of the stamps from Julie's Art Textures stamp set using Jenni Bowlin's ink in malted milk.  I also edged the panel with the same ink.



Next I adhered the pennants to a piece of Divine Twine in oyster (gray and white) and adhered it all on top of the window to create a little banner.

I added a little computer generated "birthday" inside the window under the banner.


For a bit more interest I added hand cut stripes of patterned paper from the same Madison Avenue paper pad and also stamped out onto the Madison Avenue paper pad the scallop edged curtain from the Window set using Memento ink and used part of it on the top right hand corner of the card.



My last bit of stamping was to add the longer line from the Window set onto the bottom strips of pattern paper.  Lastly I adhered the panel to a kraft colored card base.

There you have it.  A semi-clean and pretty card for Julie.  Happy birthday, Julie!


Stamps: Art TexturesWindow and Happy Day
Ink: Memento ink by Tsukineko in tuxedo black; Tim Holtz Distress Ink by Ranger in soot black; Jenni Bowlin by Ranger in malted milk and brown sugar
Paper: Lost and Found Madison Avenue 6x6 paper pad by My Mind's Eye; Paper Heart 6x6 paper pad by Crate Paper
Cardstock: Neenah Papers in solar white and sand
Tools: Tim Holtz Ink Blending Tool by RangerMONO permanent adhesive by Tombowliquid adhesive by Scotch; Copic markers
Embellishments: Divine Twine in oyster by Whisker Graphics 


I hope you will join in us in wishing both Liz & Julie the happiest of birthdays and a fabulous year to come!

Take flight,
Shay.

P.S. Mark your calendars because Carrie's birthday is July 24th!

5 comments:

  1. The happiest birthday wishes go out to Ms.Liz, for having a birthday this weekend, and to Julie, whose birthday is today! May you both celebrate happiness in the days ahead, we all love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Love the cards, Shay, especially Sophie and the stars and the little "Happy" birdie banner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!!! Love them both Shay! - PS Thanks Mindy for the sweet birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards Shay & Many Birthday Wishes to Ms. Liz & Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of these... my daughter refers to Liz as the Stickles lady (although she doesn't know that) - birthday wishes to both ladies. And thank ou for sharing the cards

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...